No Limits is a youth-led movement dedicated to reducing the influences of the tobacco industry on Nebraska’s youth. Through peer-to-peer education and youth empowerment, No Limits is giving Nebraska teens the know-how, the skills and the resources to take a stand against Big Tobacco.
Big Tobacco has a long history of marketing it’s deadly products to youth though manipulation and deception, and we’ve seen it all and had enough of it! As youth, we have the power to change the social norm created by Big Tobacco and celebrate our collaborative achievements. Awareness and unification are keys to our success in the past and moving forward.
Key Messages & Supporting Facts
- Big Tobacco has a history of manipulative marketing tactics, particularly targeting youth and disparate populations.
- Youth are capable of making a positive difference and taking strategic steps in the right direction to make change a reality.
- We have a lot to celebrate here in Nebraska, including the 10-year anniversary of our Clean Indoor Air Act.
- Many of Big Tobacco’s products such as cigars, cigarillos and smokeless tobacco are flavored or sold in packaging similar to candy.
- There are currently more than 7,700 unique e-cigarette flavors available online, making them more easily accessible to youth.
- There are three methods proven to be most effective in reducing youth tobacco use:
- Enacting tobacco-free policies – this helps reduce youth exposure to tobacco products and secondhand smoke.
- Funding comprehensive tobacco prevention and cessation programs – investing in these programs helps users quit and keeps youth from starting.
- Increasing the retail price of cigarettes – per recorded statistics, every 10 percent increase in the retail price of cigarettes reduces the number of youth who smoke by six to seven percent.
- The three methods, including strong policy efforts such as the Clean Indoor Air Act, have helped lower the youth smoking rate in Nebraska from 20 percent in 2008 to the new low of seven percent.